Surgery Consultation

Final De-Webbing Surgery


Tobias's 2nd hand surgery is quickly approaching!  Last week we drove up to Phoenix to have a final consultation with his plastic surgeon.  I was very nervous for this conversation, because I knew this surgery might be considered complex.  

His surgeon needed to assess him and make the decision to either simply do the last of the webbing which would be a 2 hour surgery.  Or choose to make it complex and move a tendon from his ring finger to his thumb and that would be a 4 hour surgery.  I was secretly hoping he would not need the 4 hour surgery because I knew that would be harder on him because he has a REALLY hard time waking up from anesthesia. After having Tobias grab a few small items with his hand, she decided that the tendon transfer wasn't needed at this time.  WOOHOO! I was so excited to hear that!


So for this surgery, they will just be cutting the last web space left in his hand.  His last two fingers are completely webbed, so she did say this will be a harder surgery than his last.  Since the entire fingers are webbed, their veins are zig zagged across to each other so she will have to be careful while cutting those veins.  We are also unsure how those two fingers will move once they are separated.  She believes his ring finger will be pretty stiff, because it has been attached to the pinky this whole time.  But only time will tell.


She will also doing a skin graft, which is something she didn't need to do last time.  In order to keep that area protected, he will need to wear a cast for a couple weeks.  The cast will cover his entire arm, from his hand to shoulder. YIKES!  This guys is VERY MOBILE, so I am anticipating him to get very frustrated.  

When he had his last surgery done, he only needed a gauze textered wrap.  He was a little annoyed with the wrap for a day, mainly because he couldn't hold his bottle.  So I am sure that will be the case this time.  She did say his cast will be put on while his arm his bent.  He does like to army crawl, so maybe he will still be able to do that with is cast.  Tobias has always been one to adapt quickly. I am sure after a couple days, the cast won't slow him down.  



Tobias's fingers healed nicely last time.  He did end up with scars, which was to be expected.  But since the cutting was done in between his fingers, the scars are barely noticeable unless you pull his fingers apart. (Images above) I have no idea what a skin graft is suppose to heal like, but I am guess it will probably leave a more prominent scar than the stitches did.  

Overall, I am very nervous for this surgery.  A part of me doesn't want his sweet, little hand to change.  I love his unique, webbed hand so much!  But I know it is another surgery that is needed to further help him get through everyday life.  The surgery is already happening next Friday, the 13th.  (I know, maybe not the best day for superstitious people lol).  However, having full confidence in his surgeon, does help put my mind at ease.  I am very happy she agreed to have this surgery done before his little brother arrives in a couple months! :)

Thank ya'll for taking the time to read this post!! 

I will be writing another post about his surgery and recovery once we cross that bridge. 

Comments

  1. I absolutely love you! You’re an amazing momma and Tobias is very lucky boy! Thankyou for being so proactive in his care. You are truly a superhero team ��

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts